Sunday, March 01, 2009

Weekend Odds & Ends

*Yulinka Cooks is now on Twitter. Read food-related musings that pop into my mind when I'm not working on the blog.

*The sushi craze has invaded Moscow and St. Petersburg, judging by all the fast-food sushi places I spotted last summer. I didn't try any of them, but I wonder what they serve. In my experience, the Soviet generation is extremely averse to any kind of "raw" food. Bad food quality and frequently-spoiled meat encouraged people to cook everything well-done. The parents and I sparred over baked salmon this weekend: I cook it 10 minutes per inch; they go for nearly 30.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had sushi in St. Petersburg, when I was there in the summer of 2006. It was at a place called RIS (rice), if I remember correctly. It was pretty similar to a mid-range sushi joint here. Definitely edible but nothing to write home about.

Anonymous said...

Wow, 30 minutes per inch of salmon. That's really well done. I cook a pound of salmon for about 15 minutes (not sure how many inches that is).

Mrs. M. said...

Anon--I remember seeing a sushi place called Yaposha (kind of like saying "Jappy" in English!) I read somewhere they serve California rolls made with dill.

Anna--I cook 1-inch fillets for aboug 10-11 minutes.

adele said...

30 minutes per inch? I'm afraid that sounds more like a recipe for salmon jerky. :P

japalinka said...

Hi, just stumbled upon your blog and can actually leave a relevant comment. I ate at Yaposha this August in St. Petersburg and actually found it to be not bad and I had just spent three years in Japan, so I had something to compare it to. Overall, i enjoyed food in St. petersburg, actually, especially the cheaper, student cafeteria type places.

Mrs. M. said...

Elina-I liked the food in St. Petersburg, too. When we ate out we only went to the cheaper fast food places, and they were all pretty good. I really miss Teremok!

Related Posts with Thumbnails