Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Fish Fry

Tilapia is cheap, healthy, easy to prepare and oh-so-boring. I used to like this mild little fish before it became my main source of seafood, thanks to a certain family member’s habit of buying it in bulk at Spartak and Sendik's. What to do with a good five pounds of tilapia? I can’t bear to bake, broil or grill it anymore, but I did discover mom’s old way of preparing fish: frying it in egg-onion batter.

Here’s how, albeit without exact measurements: Peel a small yellow onion and chop it in a food processor until it’s very finely diced, almost paste-like. Put the onions a bowl and add: 1 lightly beaten egg, ¼ cup white flour, a splash of buttermilk, and a pinch each of salt and sugar. Mix well. Dry 4 tilapia fillets throughly with a paper towel and dust them with a little flour on both sides. Dip in the batter until well coated. Preheat a splash of sunflower oil in a non-stick pan. When the oil is hot, plop the fish fillets in the pan and fry on both sides until done, about 3-4 minutes. Eat.

Great with a squeeze of lemon and veggies on the side. I went with homemade pickles and Korean carrot salad. Delish—so delish, in fact, that I finished off a plateful without bothering to take a photo.

4 comments:

adele said...

Onions as part of a frying batter? Now that's something I've never seen before. It certainly sounds tasty, though.

Anonymous said...

Yum! I'll have to try this. Btw,I do have a vareniki recipe for you. Shall I post it in the comments section?

Anonymous said...

The onions in the batter remind me of latkes. It sounds really delicious.

Mrs. M. said...

Adele--Onions work great in the batter, but the real secret is a pinch of sugar.

Diana--Yes, please post the vareniki recipe!

EB--It is kind of like latkes, but without the oniony frying smell!

Related Posts with Thumbnails