Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Mazurka (Fruit and nut bars)

This is what I made after an evening of packing for my trip to Mexico. Expecting a long and hungry day of travel, relieved only by airplane food, I figured I should take something that would keep well and keep me sated.

I don't know why I haven't written about these no-brainer fruit and nut things before. I got the recipe from my boyfriend's mom and I've been making them weekly all winter. Don't ask me why they're called mazurka--a dance of fruity and nutty flavors, maybe?

In any case, mazurka is neither a cookie nor a cake nor really a bar. It's simply a jumble of fruit-and-nut goodness, cut into squares. Mazurka smeared with peanut butter and washed down with tea makes a very nice breakfast or snack. I also like to crumble it into yogurt.

This is how I make it: mix 4 eggs with 3/4 cup of sugar. Beat in a cup of flour. Mix in a cup of walnuts, a cup of raisins and a cup of dried cherries or cranberries. Pour into an oiled pan and bake at 350 degrees for about 35-45 minutes. Cut into squares or bars.

You can use any combination of dried fruits and nuts, of course. Just make sure there's something sweet, like raisins, and tart, like cranberries in there. The more generous you are with fruits and nuts, the better your mazurka will be.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks like perfect travel food to me. the good food version of an energy bar. Have a lovely trip.

Mrs. M. said...

Lindy,
Now that you mention it, this is sort of like (an edible) energy bar. My boyfriend's mom highly encourages eating these for breakfast.

Anonymous said...

These sound like just the thing to make for a road trip, of which I'll be taking several next month--thanks for the recipe!

Tim said...

Yulinka,
Enjoying your blog! I'm living in Irkutsk now with my wife of the same name - fun to read about people making the food I couldn't get away from if I wanted to here (I don't, except for the meat dishes - maybe it's my family, or a tendency to compensate for poorer sanitation, but my idea of cooked-through is quite different than my wife's, heh).

Ahem. Anyway! I wanted to say I thought the "Mazurek" probably stems from the Mazur group of Poles - this sort of weird sheet-cakey thing is pretty common there, though I haven't ever tasted one.

Cakespy said...

Hey! I just found this post, and am fascinated by the Mazurka bar, which seems so little-known. You mentioned that you got it from your boyfriend's mom...do you know if it's an old recipe? I'm so curious about the origins!

Mrs. M. said...

cakespy--no idea about the origins of mazurka bars. Tim's comment above makes the most sense to me...

Anonymous said...

Has anyone tasted the Mazurka bars from Great Harvest Bread Co. Do you think the basic recipe is the same and they add berries and peaches on top? Thanks

Mrs. M. said...

Nancy--I didn't know the Great Harvest company sold mazurka bars. I wonder what they taste like.

Anonymous said...

Just had Great Harvest's Mazurka bars this weekend for the first time. That's why I'm here -- looking for a recipe! They are incredible!!! Their version looks a little more like a cookie bar with the fruit on top sprinkled with a crumble top. Heaven.

Related Posts with Thumbnails