Saturday, April 29, 2006

Orange-Spice Tvorog Muffins


Sometimes I have the chance to experiment with baking. I don't do this very often, since I hate to waste food, but I was practically obligated to play around last night. I had tvorog and half a dozen eggs that were rapidly nearing their expiriation date and an orange that had seen better days. I used an old recipe that didn't give exact proportions or an oven temperature, so I winged it.

I mixed 2-2.5 cups of tvorog with 3 eggs, 2 tablespoons of sugar, a tablespoon of butter (melted), 3.5 tablespoons of uncooked cream of wheat (not instant) and a teaspoon of vanilla extract. I added some orange zest, the juice of one small orange, a couple of handfuls or raisins and then sprinkled in a bit of: cardamom (leading spice), ginger, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg.

I oiled a muffin pan, filled six cups with the batter, and smeared some sour cream on top. Baked at 375 or so for 50 minutes or so...And got this:

You may have noted that I made six muffins, yet there's only four in the photo. That's because were good enough to eat at 12:30 a.m., shortly after I got them out of the oven. I suspect they'll be even better when I have then with apricot jam for breakfast tomorrow.

1 comment:

Pille said...

Yulinka - your tvorog-muffins sound good. I grew up eating manna/semolina & tvorog, so I am pretty sure I'd love these!
Welcome to the world of foodblogging!

Related Posts with Thumbnails